Payton’s Project has an ongoing college scholarship program for outstanding students who have persevered while experiencing bullying/cyberbullying, and for those who have demonstrated efforts to “Freeze Bullying and Cyberbullying” in their schools and communities. Our goal is to give away 20 $1,000 scholarships each year.
Please check back for 2017/2018 application deadlines. To be eligible, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- High school seniors attending a public high school in the United States. Preference will be given to students in Prince William County and Rockingham County as follows:
- One $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to a student at each of Prince William County’s 12 high schools
- One $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to a student at each of Rockingham County’s 6 high schools
- Two $1,000 scholarships to students attending high school in any other school district in the United States
- A history of efforts to combat bullying in your school or community, and/or perseverance in the face of being bullied. Identify and discuss your efforts or experience, using one of the following methods:
- Send video telling your story in five minutes or less OR
- Attach an essay telling your story, 12pt, single-spaced, not to exceed two pages in length
- Written recommendation from member of the faculty or staff at the high school in which he or she is enrolled. This recommendation is to serve as validation that the applicants’ words and actions promote an environment of acceptance and tolerance of differences within the school community.
Scholarship funds will be sent to the university where the student enrolls and can be used for tuition, books, room and board. Please email for questions, submissions or how we can get scholarships in your area: email@example.com. Submissions will reopen this winter.
Our hope is to honor students that, like Freeze Bullying for Payton, aim to promote awareness, education and positive change in response to the issues surrounding bullying and cyberbullying.
2016 Scholarship Winners
Caroline Dewey – Battlefield
Jordan Shaw – Battlefield
Connor Peak – Gar-Field
Jennifer Dang – Gar-Field
Charlene Nguyen – Potomac
Loza Asmare – Potomac
Adit Poudel – Stonewall
Isabelle Krieger – Stonewall
Savannah McNeil- East Rock
Name unknown- Broadway
Name unknown- Turner Ashby
Name unknown- Spotswood